Tuesday, January 24, 2012

It's Official, I'm a Foreigner

So I've finally realized after three weeks of fun that I'm truly a foreigner.  After skyping with my sisters and brother last week the thought hit me.   I can no longer sit in a coffee shop and listen to annoying yet hilarious conversations of women, think about the conversation and then take it home to my sister and talk about the experience.  The language barrier here does not allow it, even if I yearn for it.  I never realized how addicted I am to socializing, directly or indirectly.  When I see a non-Korean in the market I want to know their story because chances are they're experiencing the transitional period just as I am.  Anyone who's ever worked abroad, I believe, would understand what I'm saying. One thing about my neighborhood is that I always feel like an outsider and oddly, I’m enjoying it. Some of my neighboring areas for example, Itaewon, are extremely Western influenced...I'll discuss it a little more and I hope through pictures I can show you exactly what I mean.

Carrying On-
After exploring and organizing my little apartment I took it upon myself to get to know my neighborhood a little bit.  In an attempt to familiarize myself, I took a stroll down the main road in Isu.   The first thing that I noticed was all the great chain cafes, coffee spots and restaurants that were very close to me.  As I walked and looked I couldn't help but think of all my family and friends back home.  I don't know if I mentioned this before but, for those who don't know me, I loOOOOOve donuts and coffee.  I was complaining the day I departed L.A. about the fact that I did not have time to get my fix at Peet's coffee for the last time. Well, just to brag a little bit, there's something better here...DUNKIN DONUTS...two words, Mmm Mmm.  Now I know I can't have it all the time but I'm excited to report to my sisters, who love Dunkin Donuts as well, that I have something in my neighborhood that the West Coast can't touch.  I'm okay with leaving Peet's behind because there's something far greater to replace it.  Due to the physical stimulation around me, I decided not to partake in this right away because I wanted to try some new things.  However, this aspect of Isu has been a great discovery

The point I'm trying to make in this blog today is that even as a foreigner I still feel quite comfortable here because Mcdonald's, Popeyes, Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Baskin Robins and Dunkin Donuts signs are everywhere, making it impossible to forget where I come from.  I feel like I belong here.




As I strolled along, I realized how hungry I was.  I stumbled upon a cool little sandwich shop called Joe's Sandwich Shop.  This place is very westernized and just 2 blocks South of my house.  I got a great ham sandwich with this amazing drink...a Sweet Potatoe Latte.  It was awesome.  One thing I've learned about Korea is that the culture encourages eating, drinking and socializing.  It's no wonder why they have all these unique drinks...they have to satisfy everyone's taste buds.

The people here are very generous and love to see foreigners, like myself, in their eatery's.

Western influence is everywhere.  On a trip to Itaewon,  I saw an Outback Steakhouse.  Now, because the lack of agriculture in many areas of Korea, it is difficult to find red meat.  Naturally, it was odd for me to see an Outback steakhouse due this fact so i'm thinking one day I'll check out Outback Steakhouse. I'm sure it will be expensive but it will be well worth it if or when I get homesick.

Until Next time.....
Love and Peace from Seoul

No comments:

Post a Comment