Saturday, February 18, 2012

Recap of January Pt 2

A NOTE TO ALL:
I know I said I would blog everyday this past week but I couldn't seem to get to my computer and write.  I had major writers block that I think it was related to a combination of workload and homesickness.  Forgive me.  I think I'll have to stop making promises  to my followers because I never know what my week will be like.  Living in a different country can be taxing emotionally, physically and mentally.   Actually, I think life in general can be taxing emotionally, physical and mentally. This year I've learned that I have to stop giving myself deadlines on life, no matter where I am.  I can't help but want things to fit into a plan but sometimes life doesn't allow it and I want to be okay with that and focus on just being a humanBEing instead of a humandoing.  I heard this song by Beyonce from her newest album, 4 and I really love it.  It's called I was here.  Click one of the links below to see the video. 

Beyoncé - I Was Here (Live at Roseland)



After hearing this song this week I realized that when I create resolutions they should be for the rest of my life, not just for now.  I want to live my life so everyone will know I was here and I LIVED and I was a RAY of LIGHT.  I hope you enjoyed the song as well and if you didn't that's okay too.  If you know any other inspirational songs like this shoot me an email or comment and tell me; I would love to hear it.

NEW YEARS DAY
New Year's day felt like the start of a new beginning.  I skyped with my sisters, Ollie and Jocelyn, first thing in the morning and because their New Year's eve celebration had not  yet begun I was the first to wish them a prosperous New Year.  After skyping I was so excited because my new amazing friend, who had been so thoughtful by letting me use here Internet connection, would finally arrive from her trip back from the states. 

I received a call from her first thing in the morning requesting that we go to lunch together to celebrate the New Year. I was so elated that I decided to make her a New Year's hat in celebration of her arrival. I drew a funky looking Korea sign on  it and cut the top into the numbers 2012.  Maybe I should go into a hat making business...j/k.
Charlotte.
Can't you tell she's got a awesome spirit!


She treated me to lunch in Itaewon (an area in central Seoul) and we enjoyed Mandu (Korean Dumplings).  It was so good.  In Korean culture it is customary to eat Tteokguk/ Mandu on New Year's Day. They start the day with tteokguk (rice dumpling soup), and wish for health, happiness and good luck.  Although we didn't have the soup, the dumplings were the perfect choice for us.  Charlotte has a beautiful spirit that exudes positivity and I can't help but feel healthy, happy and lucky to have her as a friend.  The short trip to and from lunch was awesome. We laughed about the funniest things ever and I told her about my New Year's Eve with the gang.  She discussed her short trip to the states and we caught up on each others lives.  The trip was very short because she was really tired and jet-lagged but it was so fulfilling!

Me, eating dumplings

In the evening, after her nap, we discussed lesson planning and she gave me a heads-up on what a typical work day would be like at the school.  Lys came over and gave me some good advise as well and I felt loved and accepted by both girls.  We went to dinner at a restaurant close to my house and discussed life in Korea, what to expect and how to cope with homesickness. What a great way to begin the New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment